How to Archive and Catalogue Tweets

Whoa. When I plug into TweetDeck or HootSuite through my edusomnia twitter account I really have to get ready for an information superhighway. I will monitor maybe 6-7 twitter hashes for an hour and I will have squirreled away from 100-200 ideas and 20-30 new resources. For the longest time I wondered why I should plug in if I can't somehow archive and catalogue all the tweets that I found helpful and interesting. Recently I found a way! Here's the skinny on how to archive and catalogue information from twitter streams. Here's what you need, a Twitter account, a Delicious account and a connection between the two using Packrati.us. Load up your favorite Twitter streaming engine (HootSuite or Tweetdeck are my favs) and set up a column where you can see your own twitter tweets or retweets. Now you're ready to label and archive. Let's say I find a fantastic site from EdTech on iPads. I want to archive and save this forever! So I immediately retweet it and in the retweet dialogue, make sure I like the title, and then remove any unwanted @ or # tags. Finally and most importantly I add my own # tag like #ipad and then I send it. Now I wait a few seconds for it to refresh on my tweet/retweet column and then add it to my favorites. Packrati.us automatically uses the #tag to create a Delicious tag with my resource now safely stored for reading or accessing when I have more time. Hope this was helpful. Edusomnia.

No comments: